Here are some “tools” that might help you in your own personal study of the Bible as well as for preparing to lead a small group discussion. IN ADDITION, be sure to check out our Sunday School Classes and other studies that can help with personal study as well!
Bible Reading Tips
Reading the Scriptures is one of the most important things we can do in our spiritual lives to grow in our faith. Below are different tips or techniques that one can use in studying Scripture. No one way is correct, and one can grow even more by studying Scriptures using multiple techniques.
- Using Lectio Divina – A Guide for Devotional Reading
- Using John Wesley’s Understanding of the Marrow of Scripture
- Using the Wesleyan Quadrilateral: Scripture, Tradition, Experience, and Reason
The following information about theology can be useful in interpreting the Scriptures.
Useful Tables, Charts, & Lists
The following files (in pdf format) may provide insight into your study of Scripture.
- Bible Translation Information
- Canons of Scripture – Christian & Jewish
- Justice Scriptures
– Scripture Passages that Affirm the Need to do Social Justice
- Key Themes of the Four Canonical Gospels
– What to Realize and Look For When Reading Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John
- Parallel Passion Naratives
– A Side-by-Side Comparison of the 4 Gospels from Gethsemane to post-Resurrection
- Names for God in Scripture (not exhaustive)
- New Testament Views of Women
- Two Creation Stories from Genesis – A Side-by-Side Comparison
- What Does Jesus Say About Family? (A compilation of Jesus’ teachings on family)
For more information, contact
Rev. Georgia Harrison, Christian Education Pastor: 940-766-4231, 276.