Asking Questions . . . Living Faith
Our mission is to seek to understand God’s purposes for our lives so that we may be able to act out God’s hopes for the world.
About our class
Our class is composed primarily of men and women in their forties and fifties, both married and single. We are committed to study, to growth, to action, and to God. Through it all, we manage to have fun, laugh, and support each other. As a class, our hope is that by questioning the often unquestioned notions of religion, our faith will grow individually and as a group. Therefore, we strive to find books and studies that challenge us and the status quo. We also seek opportunities to serve those in need in local mission projects.
What and how do we study?
Many scholars have inspired us in questioning our understanding of God, faith, religion, and ourselves. Among these are Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crossan, Bishop John Shelby Spong, and more! Thus, we try to do studies that push us to fuller understanding—and even other questions! Various Class Members lead discussion, but it is not required that one lead to be a member of the class!
Recent studies that have inspired have included:
Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World by John Shelby Spong
- Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World by John Shelby Spong
- The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus by Amy-Jill Levine
- The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith by Marcus Borg
- The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong
- Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew by Bart D. Ehrman
- The Living the Questions 2.0 Video Study featuring many modern scholars
Where does the Living the Questions Class meet?
We meet on the 1st Floor of the Education Wing in room 101, also known as the Parlor, next to the Fellowship Hall.
What time do we meet?
Our class meets from 9:15 to 10:15 each Sunday morning, allowing time for members to attend either the 8:30 or 10:30am Worship Services at FUMC. For more information about this class, contact Jennifer Holmes, 940-696-9991.